Okay, so the summer writing schedule has been COMPLETELY off track.
And yet – I’m grateful, for these five things and many, many more:
- The library. Oh, the library. We visit the parking lot of our local library at least twice a week to pick up books, and it is glorious. I definitely miss being INSIDE the library – browsing and playing and plopping down on the floor to read books we’ve just pulled off the shelves. But for now, I’m just so grateful to have books readily available, for me and for my boys.
- The work of Ibram X. Kendi. I’m currently reading Stamped From The Beginning together with a college friend, and also Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You, which is a YA version of the first title. They’re both fantastic, and I’m learning a lot of history that I either forgot or was never taught.
- My beautiful home and our array of working fans. Our air conditioning is currently broken for the fourth time this season. THE FOURTH TIME. Luckily, since we’ve never had AC before now, we have a collection of box fans that we can break out when this occurs. I am sitting directly in front of one right now and radiating in the breeze.
- A wonderful few days at the beach with my sister and her family. It was so nice to get away and to enjoy the ocean and the sunshine and the company.
- Breakfast activities with E and J! I’ll probably write more about these at some point, but they are basically quick little activities that we do every morning while the boys eat breakfast. I got the idea from my awesome sister-in-law, who I think heard about from the website Days With Grey. It took a little while to get into a routine with it, but now the boys really like it (most days) and it’s a great little part of our mornings.
Happy August, everyone!