It’s July! Halfway through 2019. I thought it would be a good time to check in with January Kerriann to see how I’ve been progressing regarding my 2019 goals.
I wrote a few posts that were centered around goals in January 2019. There was a post about my Word Of The Year, and a post with my Birthday Thoughts, and then one additional post with my intentions for the year called New Year Old Kerriann. It all added up to a LOT of different goals for the year – some big, some tiny. Here’s my self-evaluation, in no particular order:
- My word of the year was NOW. I wanted to be here NOW – i.e., be present. I wanted to embrace the NOW – i.e., be grateful. And I wanted to do it NOW – i.e., stop procrastinating and do things right away. (This included random items on my to-do list, like “make a dentist appointment,” and big, huge things, like tackling the novel.) I think I’ve done pretty well with all of these. Not perfect, of course – but it’s not about being perfect. It’s about progress – progress, not perfection.
- I resolved to watch less TV, and this has been hit or miss. Like, Friends is now on Netflix, so I have a Season 7 episode on in the background right now and I feel amazing about it.
- I resolved to write more, and to get specific about my writing goals. I think I’ve done well with this. But I’ve also had to reckon with the limitations of writing a novel while parenting two young kids, and that’s been good, too – to accept my limitations and to get realistic.
- MEDITATE. I mean, OMG, I need to meditate. I’ve had it recommended to me a million times, and I recommend it constantly to others! It needs to happen, and I need to resolve whatever is keeping me from forming this habit.
- I resolved to eat healthfully and to spend mindfully, and both of those have been up-and-down all year long. I still need a lot of work in both areas; I can be really impulsive with shopping and with food.
- One of the intentions I set was to slow down. Ugh. This is so challenging for me. I’m impulsive, I get distracted, and I get so caught up in the day-to-day that before I know it I am rushing from task to task without being intentional or thoughtful at all.
This year has been wonderful so far. For the last five months of 2019, I want to commit to slowing down and forming the habit of meditating. LET’S DO THIS.