Life is flying by really quickly. Here’s a snapshot:
#mind: I’ve been reading lots of good books recently! One in particular – It’s Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way To Happiness, by Sylvia Boorstein – was absolutely wonderful. I don’t subscribe to any religion, but I do love reading about Buddhism and Buddhist thought typically resonates with me.
I took copious notes on the eightfold path, the way that supposedly leads to the end of suffering. The path includes:
- right view –seeing a thing in its true nature, without name or label; knowing what’s really going on inside and outside of ourselves
- right intention – having the motivation to develop and progress toward awesomeness
- right livelihood – making your living in a noble, peaceful way
- right speech – be honest, don’t slander others or cause disharmony, don’t be rude/impolite/abusive, don’t indulge in idle talk
- right action – “right” = “wise, wholesome, ideal” – act without selfish attachment to your own agenda, act mindfully and compassionately.
- right effort – prevent unwholesome qualities from arising, extinguish unwholesome qualities that already exist, cultivate new wholesome qualities and strengthen the wholesome qualities you already have
- right mindfulness – being fully attentive to everything as it is
- right concentration – complete focus i.e. (I think?) meditation
#soul: I haven’t had a ton of #soul nourishment lately, other than the books I’ve been reading. (Currently am in the middle of Perfectly Imperfect by Baron Baptiste – so good!) However, I’ve posted recently about my intention to curb my addiction to background noise. I think this will be TREMENDOUS #soul food for me!
Also, I read a little snippet somewhere recently: Make nice plans for yourself. I don’t like making my life too overplanned. But I think that it may help me to limit my TV watching, Facebook stalking, and phone scrolling when I make nice plans with myself for nourishing activities rather than just stumbling through my day with tired eyes and a spit-up shirt.
#heart: A college friend of mine got married last weekend at a state park in Connecticut. It was gorgeous and lovely, and the wedding was my standard mix of “This is so much fun!” and “I wish I saw all these glorious people every day of my life!” Teddy was a cuddly darling and it was so wonderful to be surrounded by good friends.
All in all – life is sweet. Writing helps to make it even sweeter. Hopefully there will be more to post soon!