I love my job.
But it is stressful. Especially lately. The hours are longer than usual, the environment is fast-paced, and there are a lot of different personalities to manage. Plus, there are a lot of difficult decisions that have to be made quickly.
It all adds up to me being a little more tired and a lot more stressed than I usually am.
I am a big believer in self-care. I don’t think overworking and crashing into burnout is effective, efficient, or admirable. However, when caught up in the day-to-day, it can sometimes be difficult to practice what I preach.
What do I preach?
- Exercise and movement. For me, there HAS to be movement built into my day! I stretch in my office – I bounce on my yoga ball chair – I take long walks with my clients. I do whatever it takes to make my day active and energizing.
- Taking a break. A lunch break. A meditation break. A coffee break. ANY KIND OF BREAK will do! Anything to bring yourself away from the stress of work and get yourself to a more meditative place.
- Keeping your own pace. When I feel myself starting to run around the building, it’s a sign that I need to slow down. I literally slow my pace – I force myself to walk, even when I’m busy and feeling crazed.
- Maintaining calm amidst chaos. This can be incredibly difficult! Especially when you’re dealing with the drama or chaos brought by others.
- Leaving work at work. No bringing work home – mentally or physically.
As always, it’s all about balance. Here’s to returning to work on Wednesday with energy, enthusiasm, and a new commitment to balance and self-care!